Re: Is there a NFS alternative?

On Thursday 08 February 2007 01:02, Daniel Yek wrote:

> I am hoping for a secure solution to mount directories "shared out" from my
> other computer located remotely over the Internet. So that I can edit
> source files and execute programs "locally" and compile remotely (a much
> faster machine).

> Is NFS(4) still the best (and easiest-to-use?) solution?

As someone else suggested, try fuse-sshfs, with

sshfs remotehosts: /mnt/remotehome

you can mount your remote home directory to /mnt/remotehome and with

fusermount -u /mnt/remotehome

you can umount it. Nothing more than a unprivileged ssh account on the remote
machine and fuse-sshfs on the local machine and a user in the fuse group is
required.

Regards,
Till