simplistic questions about core/extras merge

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Feb 12 15:56:45 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 10:02 -0500, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >> 2) Once a package passes review, a couple of things have to happen
> >>     a) Current maintainer (someone who is @redhat.com) needs to agree to a
> >>        freeze.
> >
> > I don't think it is possible to just stop development just because a
> > package has been approved. There isn't even a new build system yet, so
> > please let us just continue to do development in the old build system
> > until the time that the infrastructure is actually ready to do the move.
> > I don't think such a freeze between approval and move would buy us
> > anything, really. Or do you want me to wait for reapproval after any
> > change I do post-merge, too ?
>
> All I mean is that eventually, there will be a moment in time in which a
> package's CVS moves from internal to external.  The maintainer basically
> has control over that timeframe, which doesn't have to be long.  But at
> some point the maintainer of a package will say something like:
>
> "no more checkins to the internal CVS, we're moving"
>  	followed by
> "ok to checkin, we're now in the external CVS"
>
> is that wrong?

I'm not sure how much it's actually going to be under the control of the
maintainer.  To be able to do the switch sanely (especially with the
build system bits), it's going to largely have to be a big change
everything at once.

Also, the confusion of "anaconda is on cvs.fedora, rhpl is on the
internal cvs server" is just too much for me...

Jeremy