Can we make readahead more robust to package updates?

Karel Zak kzak at redhat.com
Wed Feb 14 17:11:01 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 09:09:22AM -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 10:41 AM +0100 2/14/07, Karel Zak wrote:

> >> Sorry... i didnt look hard enough... the readahead.d structure was
> >> added for fc6.... the problem is package maintainers aren't using it
> >> yet.  I guess what I need to do is parse the existing config file...
> >> identify individual packages that could drop files in readahead.d/
> >> and poke the appropriate maintainers in the eye about dropping a file
> >> in there as part of package payloading.
> >>
> >> Anyone want to help me construct the list of packages that could make
> >> sure of readahead.d/ on a per package basis based on the default
> >> readahead configs we have right now?
> >
> > Update: I've wrote a small and simple readahead-auditd that is able
> > to collect all filenames from boot process. It means everyone will be
> > able to generate unique list for his Fedora. And also I can maintain
> > default lists more effective now. I'm going to release an
> > experimental readahead package with this solution to FC7 next week.
>
> Would this work on FC6 as well?  If the package can build cleanly on FC6
> I'd try it out.

 No problem. I use FC6 too.

> Does the daemon keep running after booting finishes?  Will it have anything
> more to do then?

 The default behaviour (depends on setting in a config file) will be
 automated finish few minutes after boot. It should be a good way how
 collect things that depend on user's habits (for example I start
 gnome-terminal, firefox and mutt after computer startup).

 I assume two steps:

    1) collect filenames from boot process
    2) post-processing -- things like sort by first block position

 All this things should be on demand. Later we can thing about more
 transparent and automated solution (or about completely different
 solution like fcache ;-).

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak at redhat.com>