Smolt: firsboot revisited

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Feb 15 06:21:26 UTC 2007

On 15.02.2007 06:58, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 00:34 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>>> My vote is no.
>>> * is legally questionable.
>> If you have a concern here, please file a bug on it and I will make sure
>> it gets passed into the legal queue for evaluation.
> Everything that needed to be said had been communicated to Mr. McGrath.
> It's up to him to decide on what to do with it.

Could you give a quick summary please? That would be very helpful, as
there were a lot of mails on this topic in the last month, and one can't
know which of them and which arguments in them you exactly mean. Thanks
in advance.

>>  Please list the
>> country where you think the law might be violated.
> Probably most parts of the world outside of the US, definitely in
> Europe, definitely in Germany, probably also in some part of Asia.

I'm not a lawyer, but I live in Germany, and I think this kind of
anonymous opt-in mechanism should be fine, as long as it's clearly
documented what kind of informations are send. Ralf, could you give me
some insight why you think this should the law might be violated?

@mmcgrath, is it clearly documented what informations are send? Wuld be
ideal if one could open a window to see what informations are going to
be send exactly. And will that part also translated -- it *could* be
problematic if the text is not localized...

 > [...]

CU
thl