RFC: drop old autofoo spackages

Karsten Hopp karsten at redhat.com
Thu Feb 15 15:44:08 UTC 2007

Hello,

We're currently shipping several quite old automake/autoconf packages just to keep
a few other old packages building. I'd like to drop the following packages:

autoconf213   (8 years since the last upstream maintenance)
automake14    (5 years since the last upstream maintenance)
automake15    (6 years since the last upstream maintenance)
automake16    (5 years since the last upstream maintenance)

Packages with build dependencies on those packages:
in Core:
  autoconf213:
      esc
      pam_smb
      tetex
      vnc

  automake14:
      libwmf

  automake15:
      nss_db

  automake16:
      gmp
      krbafs

in Extras:
   autoconf213:
      glib
      gtk+
   automake14:
      gdk-pixbuf
      glib
      gtk+
      imlib
      WindowMaker
   automake16:
      aplus-fsf
      qalculate-kde

Maintainers are encouraged to switch to more recent releases of the autoconf tools
and work with upstream to get this done. They also should make sure if it is really
necessary to run p.e. automake at all.

  Karsten Hopp        | Mail: karsten at redhat.de
  Red Hat Deutschland | Tel: +49-711-96437-0
  Hauptstaetterstr.58 | Fax: +49-711-613590
  D-70178 Stuttgart   | http://www.redhat.de