Fedora 7 media sets

Dimitrios Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Thu Feb 15 16:01:46 UTC 2007

O/H Joachim Frieben έγραψε:
>>      3. Need to provide a way to install via media for the following
>>         cases:
>>
>>               * Desktop environment
>>               * Developer use
>
> Isn't the "workstation" class an already well established term and preferable to chose?

Since I've been asked a couple of times why we are planning on shipping a
Desktop spin and not a Laptop spin (!), this argument might indeed have a base.
It is more accurate (the "opposite" of Server is Workstation, not Dekstop) and
more correctly translated to other languages.

Also, I suggest to also ship a *Minimal* spin. For the users who have aDSL
(which are probably most of our users), downloading the needed packages via
Anaconda is probably quicker than downloading a whole DVD (besides, burning a CD
is cheaper than a DVD). I usually download only one CD (which I write on a CDRW)
to do the install, so it would be nice if that iso was 100 instead of 600MB.
Besides, now that Anaconda has "Extras" support, more users would actually make
use of this Minimal spin, since it doesn't reflect to "minimal installation" but
more to "minimal download size".

Finally, would it be possible to install from minimal and have it download
*updated* packages instead of the default-release ones? This way, installing FC7
4 months after its release would mean downloading only 100MB + 2GB instead of
4GB (DVD) plus 1GB (updates).

My 2 cents.

-d

--