Fedora 7 media sets

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Feb 15 17:43:45 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 18:25 +0100, Joachim Frieben wrote:
> > > The example of "Fedora Unity" already shows that your suggestion is far
> > fetched and unrealistic. I haven't found a single site yet which is
> > mirroring the respun images.
> >
> > Do you have any suggestions?
> >
> > Rahul
>
> Of course, leave things as they are: create install media for all spins and let
> them mirror by the usual suspects! As I stated in my initial posting, even
> including "Extras", the global size of the distribution is going to grow not more
> than a factor of 2,

That's the thing, though -- it _IS_ growing by more than that because of
the ISOs; many of the mirrors already carry Extras so the packages
aren't really an increase there.  Every set of CDs has to contain the
kernel for example, which isn't exactly small :)

> and the creation of particular install classes with specially
> tailored and reduced media size leads me to the conclusion that (per user) download
> volumes are even likely to decrease.

Download volume isn't really the main problem as much as backend storage
constraints.  Download volume is only really a concern when we've
decided "this is the release" and have to get however many gigs of bits
to the mirrors in a short period of time so we can release.

Jeremy