Re: Goodbye, Fedora

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 01:25:01PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> You have half of it.  rpm should be statically linked to avoid this sort
> of cul-de-sac.  It's not like multople instances of it running are
> going to be a frequent occurrence.

If you've lost a critical library then you may well have other problems
if you just ran a static rpm - such as the scripts. Normal users on being
told there is a package file collision believe the package manager and don't
randomly delete stuff breaking their system. Experts go and check the
dependancy tree and then decide not to do it.

> But with rpm not working I couldn't reinstall the library.  Boot failed,
> ssh/sshd failed -- I had to kluge with netcat and tar just to back up
> my files.  It was horrible.

You boot the rescue CD and use rpm --root to do the reinstall of the package.
If you aren't an expert you ask on the user list and get told how to do that.

Asking would have received a fairly prompt answer. Folks who run rawhide all
the time are pretty familiar with scenarios like "this glibc is bad" and
getting out of them.

Alan