FC6 updates broken deps?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Feb 22 17:35:41 UTC 2007

Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:

> Really - The reason dependency issues are such a big issue for fedora is
>  that all updates are held back because of a single package missing a
> dependency. I'm sure everybody would feel better holding back one
> package instead of all updates on this account.

If I'm not mistaken, yum seems fairly unique in this regard.

I mean, heck, look at Microsoft for example. Their update thing applies
as many patches as possible, and those that cannot be applied, well duh,
they don't get applied and the user is notified by big honking red icons
that something failed.

But a single error doesn't nuke the whole process. yum is _really_
boneheaded from this perspective. Your argument that a possibly much
more important security update might get masked by a dependency error
and is not applied is a very serious one and I don't think there can be
any logical rebuttal.

yum needs to be fixed, NOW. At this moment the update process puts
everyone at risk.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/