Slightly OT: bad rap for Fedora, and realistic effects

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Feb 23 18:36:33 UTC 2007

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:23:39 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
>> I think the responsibilities of sponsors are the same as they have
>> always been (although no where written down), namely:
>
> The fact that they are not written down makes it useless.

This is a fair criticism that I've been thinking to solve lately,
especially with the need to bring on many additional cvsextras members
from the RH engineers.

>> - Fix problems that they cause if mistakes are made and they can't
>> figure out how to fix them.
>
> You know this has become impossible with the ACLs. The original intent of
> the Vacation page in the Wiki is void, too. Packagers would need to lift
> the acls on all their packagers, before they could allow trusted
> contributors to help out during vacation.

PLEASE STOP ASSUMING HOW THINGS ARE TODAY ARE HOW WE WANT IT TO BE FOREVER.

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/
Toshio has been making some faster than expected progress on the
PackageDB.  The first goal is to get rid of owners.list and to manage
the ACL's entirely via the database.

Later possible steps in the evolution of this system include:
-  (discussed yesterday in #fedora-admin) group and "rank" based ACL's.
  For example, as a package owner I may want any cvsextras rank to have
access to most of my packages.  But I may want only sponsor and higher
ranks to have write access to spamassassin.  groups might also be useful
for convenient group maintenance of SIG's, like Games SIG.
- There is a strong desire to allow a sponsor to have some level of
control over a sponsoree's packages, but the exact policy details of how
to do this has to be figured out.
- Drive package reviews with an optimally designed workflow, getting rid
of all the extraneous noise and ambiguity of using Bugzilla for this
purpose.

There are a number of large moving pieces now, and you are right that
need to be doing a better job of communicating the overall status and
roadmap of all this.

Hm...

Warren