Re: Detecting the need for additional kernel options?

Dave Jones wrote:
On Sat, Feb 24, 2007 at 12:34:12PM -0500, Michel Salim wrote:
 > Is Anaconda currently checking the machine configuration against a
 > compatibility database? On some AMD64 laptops (including my HP L2000),
 > the machine would lock up randomly (without any log message) if booted
 > without "noapic" (I added "nosmp" for good measure).
> > Perhaps a user-maintainable database; we can consider tying it in with
 > Smolt so that only users who own a particular model can submit
 > required kernel options for it (to verify ownership, give the user a
 > token that they must pass to Smolt, e.g. smoltSendProfile
 > --key=AF32EBD4008)
> > Speaking of Smolt, the CPUspeed reported does not seem that useful,
 > unless it interfaces with CPUspeed to first set the clockspeed to
 > minimum, take a measurement, then set it to maximum, measure, and then
 > restore the original setting? My 2GHz laptop was reported as a 1.6 ..

instead of faffing about changing speeds, it could just report
the contents of /sys/devices/system/cpu/*/cpufreq/scaling_available_frequencies
if present.

+1.

Or if its preferable to only have the max speed, just grab it from /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq if present, and fall back to looking in /proc/cpuinfo scaling_max_freq isn't there.

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson redhat com