Detecting the need for additional kernel options?

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 21:12:05 UTC 2007

2007/2/26, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com>:
> On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 12:34 -0500, Michel Salim wrote:
> > Is Anaconda currently checking the machine configuration against a
> > compatibility database? On some AMD64 laptops (including my HP L2000),
> > the machine would lock up randomly (without any log message) if booted
> > without "noapic" (I added "nosmp" for good measure).
>
> Instead of having a database of things like this, maybe it makes more
> sense to fix them in the kernel?  :-)  And if there is a real hardware
> need for things like this, it's very possible to use dmi for setting a
> lot of it -- and that even helps the case for when you boot into the
> installer!  Or a live CD, etc etc etc

In this particular instance it turns out (most likely) to be an
overheating issue -- once I removed one of my two RAM modules
everything is more stable. So noapic is not the culprit in this case.

It might still be useful to have such a database, so
1) users of affected hardware don't spend too much time diagnosing the problem
2) kernel developers have a single place to look for compatibility issues

Regards,

--
Michel Salim
http://hircus.wordpress.com/