kernel-xen-2.6? (was: Re: rawhide report: 20070125 changes)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Jan 25 12:39:28 UTC 2007

buildsys at redhat.com schrieb:
> New package kernel-xen-2.6
> 	The Linux kernel (the core of the Linux operating system)

No offense (¹), just some questions that came up when I saw this:

- No review? I can't see it on
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/showdependencytree.cgi?id=FC-ACCEPT
I'm probably just to dumb to find it...

- no kernel-xen-2.6 (yet?) on
http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/devel/?root=core

- until now we had the (unwritten?) rule that we have only one kernel
srpm in Fedora and that other kernels packages are not allowed
(especially not in Extras -- but Extras and Core are no more). When did
that change? Who decided that -- I'd say such a important change should
get ACKed by FESCo, but seems I have missed that... Anyway: Does that
mean that we could have a -rt, -vserver, -openvz, -vanilla, -foo or -bar
kernels in Fedora now, too (²)?

- this to some degree breaks the kmod packaging (that was designed under
the assumption(³) we have only one kernel-package with a lot of
subpackages that all have the same version-release). Okay, it's not that
bad as you can build the kmod srpm once for the real kernels and then
for the xen-kernels, but that requires to set up the buildroot up twice
for each arch -- that takes a lot of time :-/ .

CU
thl

(¹) -- actually I think it's a good idea to have a separate package for xen!

(²) -- I don't think we want that in our main repo

(³) -- note: yes, I know, the kmod standard is in large parts my work --
but it got influenced by a lot of people. I for example never was really
comfortable with this assumption