whatever happened to the Alt+F2 installer shell?

Hi...

I'm having some problems installing using current rawhide boot.iso under VMware. It *seems like* there could be a regression in the pcnet32 driver or something, because it looks like the NIC is found but the network is down. However I cannot really look into the problem, because the Alt+F2 shell, that I would normally consult first to figure out what is going on, is blank/empty. Is this on purpose? I tried to search through this list, but cannot find anything.

Anyone?

/Thomas