Fedora 7

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 4 22:14:03 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thursday 04 January 2007 16:22, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> It would be consistent to have something like
>>
>> Fedora Desktop (GNOME edition) and
>> Fedora Desktop (KDE edition)
>>
>> It's confusing and discriminatory to call one of the spins as the
>> desktop when you have more (which is likely to increase) than one
>> desktop oriented spins.
>
> That's too many chars for a Volume ID, so it has to be a bit more terse.
> Perhaps the isos could be named that, but I don't want () in iso names.

The volume id can be different from the full name. Feel free to
abbreviate it in the volume id and drop the braces in the ISO filename.
   I am just

> We are discriminatory by nature.  We choose what we want in our package
> collections, we choose what we want on our isos.

We dont need to be though. We can put every package in a DVD and make it
available in a different directory for mirrors to sync if they want to
or just make it a torrent only release. We have a sizable segment of
users who need packages to be in the media due to unavailability of
broadband connections and network access. It is not much of a burden for
us to produce a DVD release with everything in it. Please do consider it.

   Its no mystery that Fedora
> is a Gnome centric distribution, and it should be no surprise that the Fedora
> Desktop spin is Gnome based.

After opening up development we have really no need to do so since the
resources available to us has massively increased (more packagers,
pungi, pilgrim etc). The whole point of us doing different spins to move
off from this idea of being centric on some things.

  What community folks choose to name their spins
> is of not much concern, so long as it makes sense for that spin and doesn't
> trample any trademarks.

Good branding is very much a key concern. We are making major changes
here and have a chance to change past impressions. Let's get it right
this time.

   Should we go down the route of Fedora Desktop
> (GNOME/Firefox/evince/OpenOffice.org/gaim/compiz/emacs edition)?

No but a desktop environment is not at the same level as rest of the
components here as clearly demonstrated by us planning to do two
different spins based on just that.  If you are going to call one of the
spins Fedora KDE, it is no more confusing to call the other one Fedora
GNOME. Seriously.

Rahul