Fedora 7 (TeTeX)

Mark Rosenstand mark at borkware.net
Thu Jan 4 22:54:42 UTC 2007

> On Thursday 04 January 2007 17:15, Mark Rosenstand wrote:
> > There was a project takeover at some point (some
> > unknown guy suddenly announced a project revival and a new web site at
> > libburn.pykix.org, not minding that the project was still active...)
> > which instead resulted in a fork called libburnia which integrates a
> > cdrecord-like frontend. I'm not sure how usable it is, but it's
> > certainly far from being as mature as cdrtools (or cdrkit.)
>
> Yes, this is what is in Extras right now, I packaged it up at the request of
> these folks.  http://libburnia.pykix.org/ is the "new" URL now.

Heh. I've been the maintainer of the real libburn
(http://icculus.org/burn/) for another distro for a long time, and the
forker claimed that my package was broken since it referenced the "old"
URL of the project.

That was after calling for project revival[0] and after the libburn
project leader dismissed it[1]. It's cool that they now switched to
another name, perhaps the Fedora package could do the same.

> They've been progressing quite well from what I can tell.  Sure, probably not
> ready for Fedora by F7, but something to investigate by more knowledgeable
> people.

Agreed. The idea of a generic CD-writing library seems like a worthy
long-term goal, but for FL7, cdrkit, being a free drop-in replacement of
S(ch)illy's programs, could probably do the trick.

[0] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libburn/2006-July/000434.html
[1]
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libburn/2006-August/000444.html