Fedora 7

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Fri Jan 5 04:58:27 UTC 2007

> Josh Boyer (jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org) said:
> > It would be nice if NM supported profiles too.  Like "Home" and "Office"
> > where it sets up /etc/hosts and /etc/resolv.conf to be what you'd want
> > for the two different networks.
>
> Shouldn't resolve.conf be pulled from DNS?

DHCP, yes.  However some companies, and personal home routers for that
matter, totally suck in that regard.

My router decides to assign itself as the primary DNS server and then
routinely pukes after a few minutes of that.  So I pre-pend something
in /etc/dhclient-eth0.conf to work around that, but then my laptop sucks
at work because it isn't using the site DNS servers.

And at home, my router is doesn't actually resolve the machine names, so
I add names to /etc/hosts.  Which again breaks when I switch networks.
It's very annoying.  Having something like a "Home" profile that would
switch to the right settings when selected vs. an "Office" or "External"
profile would be highly welcome.

josh