Fedora 7 (Everything installs)

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat Jan 6 02:22:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 03:43:58PM -0700, Dax Kelson wrote:
 > On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 17:27 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
 > >  I don't think merging the repos makes any of
 > > the existing reasons for doing away with this selection any less sound.
 >
 > Of course it does. The major argument bandied about for the removal of
 > 'Everything' was the creation of extras.
 >
 > It is useful for a variety of situations.

Examples?
What problem are you actually trying to solve?

 > Many, many, people have asked for it back.

That doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
Many people have asked for all sorts of misguided features.
Thankfully most of the time, sanity has prevailed.

 > Now that the merge is happening, let's *restore* the
 > feature that existed for years.

The merge makes the case for not doing it even stronger.
Before it was feasible that someone might not have extras configured,
and might want everything from core.

core+extras today is around 5000 packages iirc.  This is only going
to get bigger.  How can possibly make sense to install every package
known to man?  How do you deal with conflicting packages that want
to do the same thing (like say, binding to a network socket).
How do you navigate a gnome application menu with thousands
of applications?  Given a typical install today takes way too long,
an everything install of 5000 packages must be hurrendous.
And god, if people think yum takes too long now, installing
updates for 5000 packages sounds like a world of unfun.

It's a seriously bad idea that makes less sense over time.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk