Fedora 7

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 21:04:06 UTC 2007

On 1/6/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> Because it is a targetted spin for a particular peice of software, much like
> an eclipse spin or XFCE spin or asterisk spin.

Or to but it another way. Is the door open for a pure gnome spin using
community power in the future? Where we have the default browser be
gnome's default browser.. and use  the gnome specific office
applications instead of open office?  I know this isn't practical, but
I think it should be pointed out that what the best-of-breed 'Desktop'
looks like right now is not strictly gnome, it does deviate in
significant ways at the application layer to take advantage of
best-of-breed applications.  Because of this it does make sense to
avoid calling it Fedora Gnome, because it is not a faithful
integration of the gnome application set as invisioned by upstream.  I
don't think the pool of gnome purists is particularly large so I doubt
we will see a push for a spin of a vanilla gnome, ever.. but there is
room for it in the spin-space.  And besides, 4 years from now the
Fedora Desktop will be using the Sugar interface with the
dolphin-accessibility extensions so this how debate is really
short-sighted.

-jef"As a card carrying member of Gnome Purists Anonymous, the
best-of-breed approach to RedHat's view of how to build a desktop
sickens me. Having firefox as the default browser is a perversion of
the sanctity of the gnome ui."spaleta