Fedora 7

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 04:37:17 UTC 2007

On 1/8/07, Horst H. von Brand <vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > we should create some sort of hw db where people can check which hw is
> > > supported by fedora and which not
>
> > That's great. I don't even ask for the word 'support' to be used, I
> > would be happy with:
> >
> > * works with clean fedora (no binary blob drivers or firmware required)
> > * works with non fedora worthy firmware
> > * works in Linux, but not Fedora ready (or clean enough)
> > * no idea
> > * doesn't work
>
> Who would compile and keep this up to date? Have you any idea of how many
> brands and models of different pieces are around?

The community would. For example:

1) I install F7
2) My tv card works immediately without any additional drivers
3) I pull the card info from available sources
4) I add it to the db if it isn't already there

The process would just need to have to peer review/dispute

Another exmaple:

1) I instal FC6
2) I try a sound interface card (Echo Gina 24)
3) I realise the drivers are in the FC6 kernel (gina24.ko)
4) I realise that I need firmware not availabe in the official fedora
repos to get the device to work with alsa
5) I gather the info on the card (including the fac that it is a
discontinued model)
6) I add it to the db if it isn't ther

All I'm asking for a Fedora blessed infrastructure to be put in place,
not for any one person to be responsible for populating it

The benefit of this being that next time I'm buying hardware, I can
scurry over to the db and check what the best options are.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud