F7 KDE spin

Andrew Parker andrewparker at bigfoot.com
Wed Jan 10 19:22:11 UTC 2007

On 1/10/07, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 17:49 -0500, Andrew Parker wrote:
> > >
> > > Then they will have to download the 100s of MB through downloads!
> > > In the end, it is the same thing.
> >
> > Downloading hundreds of different files is much slower than
> > downloading one file of the same size.
> Only if having a very reliable and fast connection. With low bandwidth
> or unreliable connections, the opposite applies.
>
> > Also, the initial spin is likely (?) to be downloaded via bittorrent,
> > which is not an option for yum when it needs individual packages.
> >
> > A single iso download can also feed multiple PCs (up to 5 in my case),
> > which is far more efficient than downloading the same hundreds of
> > files several times over.
> With a couple tricks applied (sharing yum caches over a network) yum can
> do the same.

well, i did think about setting up squid to do this job, but..

1.  yum uses mirrors.  not knowing squid that much, i don't know if it
can be convinced to consider different hosts and different paths to be
the same?
2.  not all of my pcs that i install on are local to each other, so
wouldn't be able to benefit from this.

besides, it is still the case that downloading hundreds of different