Fedora 7

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 01:46:40 UTC 2007

On 1/10/07, Horst H. von Brand <vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:
[...]
> > All I'm asking for a Fedora blessed infrastructure to be put in place,
> > not for any one person to be responsible for populating it
>
> This requires manpower (to check for junk, to clean up entries, to
> discriminate among conclicting entries, ...). Ask the people at
> <http://www.linuxprinting.org> if this is a trivial job. And printers are
> outside the box, so it is /simple/ compared to all possible strange
> interactions among in-box pieces.

I may be ignorant on the finer details, but between the outputs of
lspci, and lsusb, how many dupplicates can their possibly be?

While it may be non trivial to maintain linuxprinting.org it is a very
useful resource for pre-purchase printer considerations.

Google is a great resource, but it only goes so far.

I recently had to setup an older sound interface pci card on a fedora
box I setup at work. And indiciations were bright that it was linux
compatible and fully alsa supported. I did a locate and found the
module already in the fedora kernel tree , i thought great.

2-3 hours later I finally found out that the card needed firmware, not
available in extras or core, and just barely mentioned on the driver's
author's page.

It would have been nice to know that the kernel module is Fedora
compatible, but the firmware (to make the device work) is not.

> > The benefit of this being that next time I'm buying hardware, I can
> > scurry over to the db and check what the best options are.
>
> For higher-end stuff the data is usually at hand, for el-cheapo not (and
> better stay away from that in any case).

I'm not sure what more one needs than the output of lspci, and lsusb,
and dmesg...of course I could be missing something here.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud