Fedora 7

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Jan 11 17:44:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 09:51:52 -0300,
  "Horst H. von Brand" <vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:
> Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > 2-3 hours later I finally found out that the card needed firmware, not
> > available in extras or core, and just barely mentioned on the driver's
> > author's page.
> >
> > It would have been nice to know that the kernel module is Fedora
> > compatible, but the firmware (to make the device work) is not.
>
> If the /author/ doesn't tell you that, how are the Fedora folks to know
> about that minor detail?

OpenBSD might have information on whether or not the firmware has a license
that permits redistribution. If it does, then you can probably get it from
them if it isn't in the Fedora driver. If it doesn't then Fedora shouldn't
have it and you will want to see if the manufacturer distributes it under
acceptible terms from their website.