Fedora Server Spin

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 23:33:19 UTC 2007

I created an initial skeleton list of packages[1] for the Fedora Serevr
spin [2]. The list was generated by looking at all the packages ('server
packages') in current Core and Extras Rawhide that own a file
in /etc/rc.d/init.d or /etc/init.d.

The list is a first attempt at getting a package list together and needs
a lot more love from everybody; once this list is complete we'll look at
adding supporting packages like system-config-* and sendmail-cf.

I classified all the server packages in one of three groups: Maybe,
Include, and Exclude. Things landed in Exclude mainly because they
either were game servers or because they seemed only useful on a
desktop. Packages in Maybe seem like they should be excluded, but I am
not sure.

Anybody interested in Fedora Server should have a look at the package
list and let me know if they think a package should be classified
differently; for the Maybe group, I'd appreciate comments on whether the
packages should be included or not (e.g., should FSS support dynamic DNS
and include the various clients for dyndns.org etc. ?)

David

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureFedoraServer/Packages
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureFedoraServer