proposal: mailing list reorganization

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at develer.com
Fri Jan 12 03:31:13 UTC 2007

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

>  * fedora-devel -- For devel discussion. The "old" fedora-devel-list
> became quite noise and we want to avoid that with the new list.

What's the problem with high-traffic lists?  Today, almost anybody can
afford the bandwidth and any half decent MUA can group by threads and
apply powerful filters on the fly.

In my experience, if you split too much by topic to reduce noise,
you end up with very little discussion.  People are less likely to
see each other's post and comment.

Look at the LKML for an example for an example of a very successful
project with a single, very high traffic list.  You can comfortably
read it every day by looking at threads with subjects you care about.

Look at Xorg for the opposite problem: 90% of the lists were desert
until they merged them together.

 \X/  http://www.develer.com/