Fedora Server Spin

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri Jan 12 16:01:50 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 07:52 -0800, Curtis Doty wrote:
> 3:35pm Rui Miguel Silva Seabra said:
>
> > Sex, 2007-01-12 às 10:34 -0500, seth vidal escreveu:
> > >
> > > ultra-clean - as servers should be. Then when you install a service
> > > package you can enable the service and you know that your server is
> > > setup properly: Only things you need are enabled.
> >
> > If I was a million people there would be 1 million +1 emails following
> > your email :)
> >
> > As it is... +1
> >

> +1 more for "ultra-clean" as well as the "OpenBSD but better" theme.
>
> A simple measurement will be how clean is rpm -Va immediately
> post-install. No multilib collisions. No selinux or prelink confusion.

okay - a convincing argument was made to me for some amount of items for
i18n. So non-western-language-speaking folks can use the server install.

However, I think a server install's comps.xml is the perfect place for
an @ultra-minimal which is narrow and controlled if only to save the one
step a good admin will have to do anyway, which is removing all the
unnecessary items from a server install.

-sv