Fedora Server Spin

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 16:33:45 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 12:40 -0800, Curtis Doty wrote:
> 2:42pm seth vidal said:
>
> > On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 13:59 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> >
> > > That sounds like a "Server" spin to me.
> > >
> > > One thing we want to be very clear is that this is NOT designed for mission
> > > critical or even production systems, especially with just a 13month life
> > > span, and rapid adoption of new releases rather than backports.  While it has
> > > the name "server" it means that this is useful if you're setting up a server,
> > > not that we're going to offer any kind of support, do anything different for
> > > the updates, etc...
> >
> > +1
> >
> > -sv
> >

> Sure, but a rapid devel cycle is no excuse for a crappy OS. :-/

Looking back at the Fedora releases, I don't think one can say we've had
to make many excuses.

> Consider that if the Fedora 7 Server has the admittedly idealistic goal of
> being mission critical--for just 13 months--it would be much better
> quality for *any* use.

We strive for a solid, stable release each and every time and the
results have generally been very positive.  I use Fedora for many
applications at $DAYJOB for both individual and shared resources, but I
wouldn't call them "mission critical."  Mission critical applications
without SLAs attached are wanking, pure and simple.

There's no reason dedicated (read: "foolhardy") individuals couldn't set
up a commercial interest in providing SLAs for Fedora, but expecting
them from a volunteer community is unreasonable.  Fedora is about rapid
advancement balanced with stability ("Cutting edge without the blood").

Let's not hijack this thread with yet another lifecycle debate. :-)
(Feel free to start a new thread, though.)