Fedora Server Spin

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Jan 12 21:56:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 10:34 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> okay this is insane. This is a server install. Let's have a single cd of
> almost nothing.
>
> A server install should be @Core, openssh-server, yum and that's pretty
> much it.
>
> Enough to get networking up and nothing else. After that the admin can
> install the components they need for the service the server will provide
> and be done with it.

If this is what you want, why don't you just download a rescue CD and do
a network install? Christ.

When I download a server CD, I expect the CD to be filled with as much
stuff as makes sense. I expect at minimum apache and a mail server.
Anything less is a pointless waste of a CD.

People seem to have an idea that a server spin is going to be somehow
configured fundamentally differently than a desktop/KDE/kitchensink/$foo
spin. This should not even be necessary. We should be 'secure' no matter
what spin you install with. All spins should differ only in what
packages it contains and what package groups are default.