plans for long term support releases?

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Jan 16 06:25:37 UTC 2007

Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Now that Core and Extras are going to be merged and the distro is
> opening up to become even more (?) community driven, has anyone played
> with the though of eventually releasing a long term support version of
> Fedora?
>
> It could be a based on a staple snapshot of Fedora 7 + 4 months worth of
> updates or whatever, at this point I'm more interested in hearing about
> the idea than the details, which will surely follow, if i'm not the only
> one who think this could be a good idea. Especially now that we're going
> to do special server spins etc...
>
> Just a thought (hope this was not brought up ages ago and I just missed it)
>
> /Thomas

Note: Fedora Legacy began with this similar idea.  At first Legacy did
reasonably well, but as time passed contributor interest waned, making
it unsustainable as a community project.  This isn't to say that it
wouldn't be possible for the community to declare one version of Fedora
LTS and do a good job of it.  But the precedent of history is against
the likelihood of this succeeding.

It is just too convenient for those users to use RHEL or CentOS.
Security is a *HARD* and boring problem, requiring constant vigilance
over long periods of time.  This kind of project is difficult to sustain
with volunteers.

Nothing stops a community group from trying continue what Legacy began.
  Just do it and prove that it is sustainable.  But I am not optimistic
that it is possible.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com