plans for long term support releases?

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Wed Jan 17 05:00:02 UTC 2007

> > A) Fedora is about new software.  Even in our released lines, we constantly
> > upgrade to new software to fix bugs, rather than backport.  Would you try to
> > change this philosophy in your extended release?
> No. But I guess what you are saying is that without a truly wide range
> of test machines / configurations to test updates on before release,
> then backporting fixes is the safest way to go, yet most time expensive
> to perform ?

but it's NOT the safest way. By far.
Backporting is HARD. The first few months you'll be fine, because the
upstream code is close to yours. After about 6 months (in the kernel,
other projects may vary) it gets a HECK of a lot harder, and often the
backports get really awkward and risky. Guess why the RHEL folks
struggle so much.... you need some SERIOUS QA on backports, even more
than on version upgrades.