RPM and files installed xdg-utils

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Thu Jan 18 01:26:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:42:11 -0800, Daniel Yek wrote:

> Thanks for the "%ghost", but is it documented? I didn't find it in the
> following URL after a quick search:
> http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/ch-rpm-inside.html

Here:

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/s1-rpm-inside-files-list-directives.html

The snapshot is a community enhanced/extended online version of Ed
Bailey's original book.

> Regarding "touch"...Can one create redundant list of file in %file without
> actually doing anything with it in %install? What would happen to "rpm
> -qpl" in this case?

All files in the %files section must exist in the BuildRoot. Else rpmbuild
refuses to build your package.

> Lets say a software package is utilizing utilities to install icon
> resources, etc. Lets says xdg-utils is bundled and used during RPM
> installation.
>
> http://portland.freedesktop.org/xdg-utils-1.0/
>
> xdg-utils scripts installed a bunch of files at unknown locations. What can
> I do to have those files remain tracked? If I can't read the scripts and
> create a list of all possible installation locations, is there something
> else I can do?

At package build-time you would install everything *only* into the
temporary BuildRoot. At the end of the %install section you can list the
BuildRoot contents and create matching file lists for the %files section,
where you can include generated list files on-the-fly.

Everything done outside the package BuildRoot and/or applied to your
installed system after package installation is beyond the scope of RPM.