Q: Howto rapidly develop/test without breaking local rpm db

Saikat Guha saikat at cs.cornell.edu
Fri Jan 19 23:48:49 UTC 2007

Q: I want to fix bugs in/hack software I use (evolution, gaim,
network-manager, compiz etc.). I typically have RPMs installed. What is
the easiest way to have a development environment and a quick
debug-compile-test loop without breaking the local RPM DB.

* In particular, patching the .src.rpm and RPM rebuilding for each
debug-compile loop is a definite no (too slow).

* Similarly, 'sudo make install' is likely not an option (breaks local
rpm tracking).

* Per-package 'configure --prefix=..' is okay but requires chasing down
application nuances (some need global gconf updated, some try to load
plugins from outside the build tree, other applications and
desktop-shortcuts need to be changed to point to the patched version
etc.)

* chroot jail (where I am comfortable doing a 'make install') seems too
heavy weight.

How do I rapidly develop/test on an RPM-managed box?

cheers,
--
Saikat