dkms for fc7?

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Jan 20 19:16:40 UTC 2007

Le samedi 20 janvier 2007 à 12:00 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III a écrit :

> NM> dkms sort of works for kernel levels out-of-tree drivers bother to
> NM> support finding a working combinaison of kernel & out-of-tree
> NM> driver versions quickly degenerates (even for big drivers like
> NM> nvidia)
>
> You make it sound as if dkms is somehow a loss when compared with
> other methods.

dkms is much better than other methods. Unfortunately (as other posts
have shown) users do not understand it, and feel they don't need to push
for upstream kernel inclusion anymore. At least when Dell was the dkms
gateway it was asking driver writers to merge upstream. Now we're going
packaging for free, and many out-of-tree projects will only see as
validation of their strategy (especially if there is a drop in user
demand)

--
Nicolas Mailhot