rawhide report: 20070121 changes

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Sun Jan 21 20:41:54 UTC 2007

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 18:18:28 +0100, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> Dnia 21-01-2007, nie o godzinie 06:32 -0500, buildsys at redhat.com
> napisał(a):
> > gdb-6.6-1.fc7
> > -------------
> > * Sat Jan 20 2007 Jan Kratochvil <jan.kratochvil at redhat.com> - 6.6-1
> > - Upgrade to GDB 6.6.  Drop redundant patches, forward-port remaining
> > ones.
> I have one question about FC gdb: why *so many* patches are not
> integrated with current gdb source tree ?

There are other packages with many more vendor patches.

I try to be upstream cooperative but it is not easy.  Some of the patches are
useful only for binary enhancements introduced by Red Hat (so far was Jakub
Jelinek's GNU_HASH, now still at least PIE security is pending, Jakub Jelinek's
prelink(8), Alexander Larsson for separate .debug etc.).

Also be aware that some of the patches still in current gdb-6.6-1 were already
accepted but for gdb-6.7.  Or they are still being discussed.  The upstream
acceptance process is a longterm task.

Many times some patch did not went through (the PPC patches series) and due to
dependencies on each other they no longer make sense upstream.

And while you try there sometimes is just no agreement upstream and it is too
time costly to continue the discussions.  There are still more BZ Bugs waiting.

> IIRC gdb source tree is maintained by RH developer.

The current primary upstream maintainer Daniel Jacobowitz is from CodeSourcery
(no own distro) and well ... Debian.

Regards,
Jan