dkms for fc7?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jan 22 00:59:03 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot <at> laposte.net> writes:
> Out-of-tree driver writer 1 will say "I only support 2.6.x proper"
> Out-of-tree driver writer 2 will say "I only support up to 2.6.x-rcy"
> davej will say "I'll ship 2.6.x.3 in because previous releases are missing
> a critical fix and that matches the Fedora release schedule"

Then you patch the modules. :-) Even the evil binary drivers usually have some
glue code with source which you can patch to at least work around the problem.
Good places to look for patches are usually:
* upstream message boards or mailing lists
* upstream version control (CVS/SVN/GIT/...)
* downstream (distro, ...) mailing lists (try a search engine)

Failing that, try to figure out what the change was (e.g. by searching for the
missing identifier with a search engine) and patch the module accordingly, then
try to share the patch with other people.

Here's an example:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2007-January/msg00175.html
In this case, I've just taken the patches from the rt2570 CVS at the rt2x00
project and ported them to Ralink's latest official driver release.

        Kevin Kofler