Re: Fedora 7 encrypted root partition

On 1/22/07, Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> wrote:
Jeremy Katz <katzj <at> redhat.com> writes:
> The problem with doing this is that there really isn't any way to sanely
> prompt a user in their native language and allowing for their native
> keymap for a password prior to mounting the rootfs (and potentially
> more).

Well, I think understanding "password:" is not a big problem in most
countries. ;-) As for the keymap, if you only allow alphanumeric characters (no
brackets, asterisk or whatever), the US keymap won't be that big of a problem.

Have you ever seen a french KB?

I know where the numbers and letters on the US keyboard are (same as on my
German one except that Y and Z are swapped), and I think most computer-savvy
people here in Austria know that too.

So it could be good IF we were targetting computer-savvy people exclusively

I think the importance of NLS is often overrated.

Possibly, but here we are talking about the risk of being locked out
from your own system. Things are to be bulletproof in this area or we
are not going to have good press coverage...

On a side note: why on earth should we care about encrypting stuff
outside /home ?