Fedora 7 encrypted root partition

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jan 22 16:47:57 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 13:37 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Yes. There's a couple more letter swaps (Q<->A, Y->Z->W->Y, M in a different
> > place, so they'd have to type '?'), and the numbers are shifted in the French
> > layout and not in the US one. Still, it's possible to remember the
> > differences.
>
> PS: Oh, and what about something having Anaconda enforce something like:
> "Due to keyboard layout differences, non-alphanumeric characters and the
> letters A, M, Q, W, Y and Z are not allowed in HD passwords."
> Wouldn't that solve most of these issues?

No.  Huge amounts of the world don't even use a latin character set.
Wikipedia has a good article showing the layout of keyboards for many
different locales -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

Fedora is a distribution that's used worldwide; integrating a
significant feature and locking out huge chunks of our user base just
isn't a good option.

Jeremy