dkms for fc7?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 18:42:44 UTC 2007

On 1/22/07, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info> wrote:

> My 2 cent: Normal users should get modules pre-compiled as rpm package
> (read: "we are not gentoo"). For enthusiasts something like dkms might
> be a good idea. But I think most of us don't want to maintain two
> codepaths for compiling kernel-modules, so we need to get both concepts
> under one hood. E.g.: either use dkms in the buildsys, too, or find a
> way to recompile the kmod srpm for new kernels automatically.

dkms can create packages with precompiled kernel modules and can be
used to build/update itself whenever a kernel update occurs. I did
this for RHEL-4 on our sattelite server. I knew that if I was late
however, the dkms could take care of itself on those systems. Which
was very useful for people who needed stuff off-line.