Re: NewInit and red plans ( aka "is it true that redhat linux is not unix" )

2007/1/25, Bela Pesics <bela pesics gmail com>:
On 1/25/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram fedoraproject org> wrote:
> Bela Pesics wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity, isn't redhat interested in this feature? It's
> > alright if not, before someone briefs me on the joyful relationship of
> > red and the community.
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureNewInit?highlight=%28CategoryFedora7Features%29
> >

> > Btw. does redhat have plans, long term strategy or case studies about
> > the detrimental effect of traditional unix leftovers? At the current
> > state rhel5 and the ongoing fc branch seemingly enjoys this tradition,
> > and there's no sign of real change.
> >
> > Is this indeed the future?
>
> Interested in a change and someone needs to look at the different init

You might be interested, but RedHat's interest might be subtle. :-)
I would even be able to imagine that it is totally out of interest.
But why? Conservation has lower risk on short term. Yes, short term,
it's a pity.

> systems and evaluate them. See
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureNewInit. The change itself
> is unlikely to happen for Fedora 7.

Thx. Well, that's already known (at least because it's linked at the
bottom of the page).
IMO upstart is the only realistic candidate right now. Open to doubt.

Actually why? Saying "only A does the job" alone doesent help with
proper decision making.

regards,
Rudolf Kastl

Bela