/etc/init.d in the default $PATH ?

Ron Johnson rjohnson.fedora-devel-list at rjohnson.com
Sun Jan 28 00:27:09 UTC 2007

jam at zoidtechnologies.com wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 04:04:39PM -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
>
>> So, what it the rationale for /etc/init.d not being in the default
>> $PATH, for root at least?
>
> I've never had to execute anything directly in /etc/init.d/ -- there is the
> "service" command that runs those files for me, at least in fedora. you can
> always modify $PATH by dropping a file into /etc/profile.d/ if you *really*
> want this sort of thing to be possible. I would not want to see it in fedora
> though.

I'd agree, but it does bring something else to mind.

I don't modify the path on my system from the install default, but when
logged in as root via 'su', /sbin is not in the path.  I do see
something in /etc/profile that is apparently supposed to put it in there
if the EUID is zero, but it never seems to happen.  I hadn't really
thought about it much till now.  Is that a bug?  Does this happen to
anyone else?

It also happens when using sudo, i.e. "sudo service" gets "sudo:
service: command not found", whereas "sudo /sbin/service" shows usage
for service.

-Ron