Smolt: Fedora Hardware Profiler

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jan 31 17:15:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 10:11 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On 1/31/07, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 09:26 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > > Hey guys, smolt is in a state now where it can be released and tested
> > > by the general public.  Currently smolt-firstboot has firstboot
> > > integration with opt in/out.  My question for the dev's is:
> > >
> > > Do we as a community want to include this by default in Fedora 7?
> > OK, now that you have asked, you'll be prepared to facing a very clear
> > answer: NO, NEVER.
> >
> > It must be strictly optional and even then, it should require explicit
> > interactive user activation.
> >
> > I am not willing to accept any unsupervised, non-opt-in data
> > transmission from any package in Fedora and will prepare a proposal to
> > change the Fedora Package Guidelines accordingly.
> >
> > Ralf
> >

> Lucky for me then, I based the firstboot integration off of the EULA.
> Its very easy to opt out of.
It must be opt-in.

1. May-be you should consider to talk to RH legal.
In many parts of this world opt-out is ILLEGAL.

2. It should be is a matter of fairness to make it opt-in.

3. In many parts of this world SPY-WARE like yours is a very hot
political topic. You are at risk at exposing Fedora to be subjects to
such flames.  Even Microsoft has learned their lessons and made
"registration opt-in", now you are committing the same FAULT.

Ralf