Pirut: Edit -> Repositories

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Jul 2 14:42:01 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 15:27 +0530, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
> I see that the Edit->Repository menu item is not yet implemented till
> Pirut 1.3.8. I am going to write one for the offline package
> management tool (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DebarshiRay/rum) I am
> making for this year's Summer of Code
> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerOfCode/2007/DebarshiRay).
>
> Do you already have some plans or suggestions in mind regarding the
> design and/or functionality of Edit->Repository that I can base my
> work on? Otherwise I can create one which will benefit both Pirut and
> my application.

There's definitely need to flesh out and actually have the menu item in
pirut be useful.  There's already some code in various places (repoman
and system-config-repositories in yumex are standalone... I think
there's also some code in revisor).  But I'm not all that sold on the UI
with either...

I think the place to start is with writing up some use cases and then
trying to do some mockups from there before ever writing any code.

Then the tricky part is likely to be doing the config reading/writing in
a way that's not lossy.  repoman actually has a good start on some of
this, but it'd be nice to actually work towards getting that code into
yum itself so that every tool doesn't have to re-invent those bits.

Jeremy