perl-devel will be removed from the f8 buildroots

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Mon Jul 2 15:39:26 UTC 2007

On 7/1/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 30 June 2007 18:02:18 Jose Pedro Oliveira wrote:
> > Right now we don't have an easy way to pull all the perl core modules
> > into he build system.
>
> Perhaps you missed the sarcasm.  Saying "we don't have an easy way to pull all
> the perl core modules in" sounds to me like "we don't want to figure out what
> perl modules we're actually using and ask for them, we'd rather everything be
> there and not care.

I know I'm opening myself up to sarcasm here, but in this case it's
really not warranted.  Perl packaging in fedora has a long history,
with a comprehensive set of guidelines and packaging customs enforced
as law by reviewers and the SIG.  This change breaks one of the
fundamental assertions of those guidelines:  "don't BR core modules;
that's sloppy packaging and they are guaranteed to always be installed
anyways."

While there are serious arguments on both sides of this perl split,
the request for a meta-package to emulate the prior behaviour
(especially on one's own system) is not a presumptively irrational
request.

                                 -Chris

--
Chris Weyl