Pirut: Edit -> Repositories

Tim Lauridsen tla at rasmil.dk
Mon Jul 2 17:38:16 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 15:27 +0530, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
>
>> I see that the Edit->Repository menu item is not yet implemented till
>> Pirut 1.3.8. I am going to write one for the offline package
>> management tool (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DebarshiRay/rum) I am
>> making for this year's Summer of Code
>> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerOfCode/2007/DebarshiRay).
>>
>> Do you already have some plans or suggestions in mind regarding the
>> design and/or functionality of Edit->Repository that I can base my
>> work on? Otherwise I can create one which will benefit both Pirut and
>> my application.
>>

> There's definitely need to flesh out and actually have the menu item in
> pirut be useful.  There's already some code in various places (repoman
> and system-config-repositories in yumex are standalone... I think
> there's also some code in revisor).  But I'm not all that sold on the UI
> with either...
>
> I think the place to start is with writing up some use cases and then
> trying to do some mockups from there before ever writing any code.
>
> Then the tricky part is likely to be doing the config reading/writing in
> a way that's not lossy.  repoman actually has a good start on some of
> this, but it'd be nice to actually work towards getting that code into
> yum itself so that every tool doesn't have to re-invent those bits.
>
> Jeremy

Sounds like a good idea, the config write routine in yum will remove all
the # comment lines and mix all the options.
I fixed the mixing in system-config-repo by building a extra layer on
the yum config API, but it don't take care off the # comments.
I would be a good idea to teach yum to save config files, without losing
information.

Tim