Parallel Booting

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Fri Jul 6 21:33:26 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jul 06, 2007 at 04:03:09PM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Well, I have a machine running entirely from SSDs (two 32GB PATA
> Samsungs, /boot is mirrored and the rest is striped).  It still

If you run the system entirely from a giant RAM disk (eg a gigabyte i-RAM)
you'll rapidly discover that the disk isn't the biggest bottleneck

> to run I'll be happy to try them.  (Actually I'm only getting 57MB/s
> reads from the striped volumes, so I think there's some tuning to do
> as that looks like the single-drive speed.)

Disk performance is usually quantified in ops/second. If you read linear
data you'll get 57MB/sec. Go to true random access and performance is
way way lower and hasn't improved much in the past ten years.

Alan