Fedora Offline Package Manager (RUM) version 0.0.1 released

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 16 21:55:16 UTC 2007

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
> I hereby announce the release of the Fedora Offline Package Manager
> (RUM) 0.0.1.

You might want to consider renaming this. Rum (though not actively
maintained) is a yum based program that existed before your project and
it is not very courteous to knowingly start a new project with the same
name and cause name conflicts if we want both the old rum and new rum in
the repository.

> If you are interested then you can read more about it at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerOfCode/2007/DebarshiRay
>
> This is a beta release and offers the following features:
>
> 1. Profile management:
>   a. Exporting the profile of the local system.
>   b. Importing the profile of another system.
>   c. Deleting existing profiles.

I am not sure I understand the need for profiles.

> 2. YumPack creation
>   - Although I have tested this to the best of my ability, I would
> appreciate if you could try to create new YumPacks and verify whether
> the dependencies are being correctly resolved.

Do you have any documentation on creating yum packs?

> To install package(s) from a YumPack, you would need to untar the
> YumPack, which is essentially an uncompressed Tar archive, and use
> 'system-install-packages' to install the RPMs as you would normally
> do.

Why uncompressed? Do you plan on GUI integration of yum packs to
system-install-packages directly? Is there any integration with Presto?

I would appreciate if you can provide a rpm package for testing. Thanks
for working on this.

Rahul

---

FYI,

In 09/10/2005 05:53 AM, I send a mail to Paul Nasrat and Seth Vidal the
following mail without any response.

subject: Yum package archive

Hi

Here is an idea for a tool that would create a yum package archive which
is basically a set of RPMS and its dependencies  into a bz2 or gzip
tarball  that are not in Fedora Core itself.

Use case 1:

I would like to send distribute XFCE for Fedora Core 4 to a friend who
is on a dialup connection and a I am running Fedora Core 3. Now  I have
to figure out XFCE all its dependencies from Fedora Extras repository
and then burn into a CD and send it off

Use Case 2

A magazine wants to distribute all the Fedora Core 4 updates and users
want to update only stuff that they have already installed

A GUI  (ideally system-config-packages itself in Fedora) would extract
this archive and install all the packages. For the second use case, it
would prompt for package updates. It can also have the ability to prompt
for the CD/DVD  to satisfy dependencies

regards
Rahul