Fedora Offline Package Manager (RUM) version 0.0.1 released

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:25:55 UTC 2007

> Well, to me then, it doesn't make sense to have two packages, just to
> work online or offline.  Why can't you and the maintainer for pirut
> combine sources to make it work for online and offline and just
> configure what you want depending on your circumstance?

If you had read
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerOfCode/2007/DebarshiRay you might
have noticed that my original intention was to do just what you are
saying. However the Pirut maintainer, Jeremy Katz, does not look
favourably upon this idea.

Having said that both programs do share a lot of code, both for the
back-end functioning and the GUI, keeping duplication to a minimum.

> Actually what I would like to see, is yum or a plugin be able to use an
> option with yum to disable all repos at once and then maybe can enable
> local network stuff when needed?
>
> Something like below maybe..
>
> yum update --disableallrepos --enablerepo=local-network

Where does 'local-network' come from? Imagine you have a computer
which has no network connection at all.

Cheers,
Debarshi
--