rsyslog is in F8

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Thu Jul 19 06:29:24 UTC 2007

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 10:04 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>

>> Daemons do a condrestart in their %post, not a start.
>>
>> I guess you could conceivably do something kind of painful like
>>   if service sysklogd status == running
>>      service sysklogd stop
>>      service rsyslog start
>>
>> But I'm not 100% certain that the ordering of package install/remove on
>> an obsolete makes this even feasible
>>

> rsyslog could still do the condrestart (or restart) couldn't it?  I do
> it (mostly just out of me doing it all the time no matter what) anyway
> even if the daemon isn't running.  It just fails on stop, then ok's on
> start after it's running.

    If sysklogd fails on stop it is not necessarily OK to start rsyslog.
Maybe the admin decided to try syslog-ng, but did not remove sysklogd.
Trying to start rsyslog while syslog-ng would fail. And would be a
useless thing to do.

    Anyway, as it has already been pointed /etc/init.d/rsyslog defaults
to enabled (from Peter's message I have understood that the opposite was
true and at the time I did not check the sources), so the service will
be started after reboot. Seems almost OK to me (except for a potential
conflict with other daemons like sysloh-ng, but that's already food for
real admins)