Re: WTF⁈ ShowOnlyIn=GNOME

Tarek W. maillinglists at lonecoder.net
Sat Jul 21 16:36:37 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

On 7/21/07, Christopher Stone <chris.stone at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/21/07, Naheem Zaffar <naheemzaffar at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You will have to work on a case by case basis, filing bugs where needed.
> >
> > Some applications would only be sane in a specific environment. As an
> > example, Gnome should have a link to Nautilus for file management, KDE
> > to Konqueror (or whatever they have got in KDE 4. Dolphin?).
>
> I do not understand this logic.  Why do we assume GNOME users will
> only use Nautilus, and KDE users will only use Konqueror?
>
> Is is so much a stretch of the imagination to think that a KDE user
> might actually want to run Nautilus (or vice versa)?

I think the adopted approach is better. If I am in Gnome, launching
Konqueror will run several KDE dependencies (like ARTS maybe? can't
remember what exactly) and they will stay running last time I checked.
If I were not a power user, I would rather be shielded from that
situation and enjoy better performance. If I were a power user, I
would disable showonlyin as needed.

Tarek