Fedora & Sound: an excercise in frustration

Kelly lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 15:02:33 UTC 2007

I noticed people discussing problems with the sound in Fedora.  I had problems
with the sound myself, until I switched everything over to using the
PulseAudio daemon.  There are fantastic instructions here:

http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

and everything is in the repositories.  The only thing to note is that the
system won't start PulseAudio by default; I fixed that by putting it in a
startup script in my ~/.kde/Autostart folder, and I imagine Gnome has a
similar procedure.  At any rate, if you install pulseaudio-esd-compat, then
any program that uses ESound can use PulseAudio directly, and there are
setups for ALSA to use PulseAudio as well (so you can pipe ALSA sources to
the daemon and have the daemon claim exclusive control over the actual sound
port).